Sunday, July 26, 2015

Dreams of Flying

I had a short dream this morning that reminded me what I love so much about dreaming, especially lucid dreaming.

This particular dream was simple enough. I was sitting at a desk, and in front of me was a small piece of paper with a crease down the center. The task before me: to levitate the piece of paper. In my dreamtime mind this was a simple task. I'd already done so many similar things before, of a much greater complexity. Ironically, instead of going straight to task, I found myself reliving memories of other dreams, right in this dreams.

I remember a few of my first flying dreams, where I had trouble taking off, going to high and losing control and the dreams where I finally was able to gain control and adventure through dreamtime enjoying my ability to fly through obstacles, overcome various villainous beings and go beyond my wildest dreams to create even wilder ones.

Dreams like these are hallmark dreams for shamans, not that I am one, but they certainly fill me with a sense of pride and power. Something that I obtained more accidentally than anything, but something that I worked hard at whenever the opportunity arose. These flying dreams weren't things I ever called to myself, and always come to me at random, and I never stopped to practice bring lucid in them. It just sort of happened. One night I realized I was aware of what was happening in a dream while I was flying, and of course, nearly fell out of the dreamtime sky. Once that happened, it was hard not to become lucid during the rest of the flying dreams that came my way.

In fact, it was dreams like these that drew me more into learning about lucid dreaming and brought me more dreams in which I could actively participate in. That's a thought for another day though.

For today, I was thinking more to talk about what flying dreams mean, especially for those of you, who like me, get geeky when it comes to dream meanings.

Now, before we go further, I want to make it clear that I'm going to cover this from a personal point of view, rather than one of intense research. Firstly b/c most of the information out there is so easily repeatable and who needs more of the same? Secondly, because this is my blog and I can do that sort of thing ;)

So let's get down to the nitty gritty. Dreams about flying, in the general sense, as in a non lucid dreams about flying, for me, are about freedom, escape and power. Can you imagine if you had the real life ability to fly unassisted? What if you could just jump up, hold out your arms and go anywhere you pleased? That's true freedom, and if your dreaming of flying like this, it's probably because you have a serious need for less restriction in your life. Think about it. When's the last time you went on vacation? Or a random road trip? Or just tried something new because you spontaneously wanted to?

Symbioticly, dreams about flying are also about escape, which is not quite the same thing as freedom, but because escaping often means you're feeling trapped or restrained, it goes hand in hand with freedom. The liberty to make like a tree and leave, especially when you're feeling confined in your life, is an important feeling, and one that most of us try to ignore in our waking lives. This is often why the subconscious will bring your need for escape to your attention through such miraculous acts as flying, and when this happens, you really shouldn't ignore it. No, I'm not saying you should drop the kids off at their uncle's house, quit your job and change your name to Captain Jack. What I am saying, is that when it gets to the point that your dreaming mind is sending you these images of your need for escape, it means you're not taking care of that need in the muggle realm.

Escapism can often start to manifest itself in other ways than just bizarre dreams when left to fester. Don't let it go that far. Sit down and think about what you really need to escape from and how badly. Are you just in need of a little getaway? Or is it time to reconsider your career ops?

Whatever it is, listen to your dreams and take care of it before it becomes a bigger problem.

Lastly, but not at the least, flying dreams are often dreamt by the powerless, or rather, by people who feel powerless. Being able to fly unassisted would be super powerful, and it's often your minds way of showing you just how amazing and powerful you can be. Believe in your dreams, because you rock and even if your in a not so powerful position in your life right, that doesn't mean your powerless. It just means that your learning something new that will only add to your power.

So, after you've thought about it. If you need more freedom, get it. If you need to escape, do it. If you're feeling powerless, stop it.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum, if you're having lucid dreams about flying, there are a few additional things to think about. These are things that I consider when these dreams come up:

1. What power am I gaining and why?

2. Am I flying in a new direction or continuing an old one?

3. Am I centering to much attention on my spiritual path?

Now, just to be contrary, I'm not going explain any of these considerations. When you get to the place in your path where your flying through dreamtime, these prompts will be all you will need and more importantly, they will always have different and personal meanings.

It's also important to remember that one can easily become trapped in the second attention and powerful lucid dreaming like this can easily become so enchanting that they'll keep you coming back for more, which inevitably begins to drain your power rather than bringing you more of it. Go in for what you need, nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment